Wednesday, May 9, 2007

My Starbuck's experience

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a STARBUCKS fiend. I MUST have a grande, 180 degree, no-fat, no-foam latte each and every morning in order for my day to go right. I am a Starbucks regular and have met many acquaintances over the years at Starbucks that share my obsession. It’s like my own ‘Cheers’, where everyone knows your name. But in this case, it’s everyone knows your freakishly specific specialty coffee order. I walk in and non connoisseurs look very baffled as my order is called out to a new barista. Of course I’m a regular so the majority of time they begin preparing my order the moment I walk through the door and all I have to do is pay (sometimes), tip, and leave. I don’t have to say a word (other than the casual “GOOD MORNING!” or “How’s it going 2day” to the cashier). I’ve had an experience where a man said “A woman after my own heart! I LOVE YOU!” because he heard my order which was exactly how he orders his.

My personal obsession started about 4 years ago, but this past year has been very interesting. The barista’s and cashiers at the Starbucks I go to before work seem to have become very attached to me. They are so happy to see me every morning, give me free stuff, and are just very personable towards me. They know me by name, which forced me to learn their names (only polite) and I even brought them Valentines Day treats. Over the past 2 months, I started frequenting a Starbucks closer to my home, versus this one which is closer to my job. I happened to stop into the older Starbucks Monday and you would think I was a freaking celebrity. A barista ran up to me, hugged me, and would not let me go. It was a weird experience. I didn’t realize how much of an effect I could have on someone who makes my coffee every morning. He kept asking where I’ve been and when I told him I was going to another Starbucks he said he was putting in a transfer to that one. This guy really missed me! It was too cute.

No comments: